Friday, July 17, 2009

Touch of a frost created by deposition of water vapor into solid ice

I'm knitting my second pair of socks . This time I'm making them for my sister. She said that she would like a pair when we were visiting her place last time. She said that she doesn't really have any, and you really need knitted socks in Finland. We have winter here, not right now, of course. It's very much summer now. Anyway. Taphophile_au warned me on Twitter* that now I'll never be free of knitting socks for the family. She might be right. I can imagine my other sister, as well as my mom, asking for socks too.

I wanted to do something different for my sister (because she's my favorite one, she's never mean to me like my other sister), but I didn't want to do anything too difficult. I'm quite n00b when it comes to knitting, I just have a very good teacher (that's J.R.). I picked a free pattern called "Kuuran kosketus" . The name is really simple... if you happen to understand Finnish. In Finnish language "kuura" is just one word, but in english you have to say "frost created by deposition of water vapor into solid ice". We have many words related to snow that English language doesn't have. I wonder how many snow related words Eskimos have... Anyway. Here is my first sock:

And there are lace in it! It was really simple to make, almost too simple, and it looks really nice. Though you can't really see that from the photos. I borrowed a 10 mega pixel digital camera from my aunt, but that doesn't really help when you don't have any photographing skills. Though I took photography courses in high school, and I know how to develop pictures by myself... The yarn is pretty generic, but I really like to knit with it. It's Nalle (that means "teddy bear" in English) by Novita.

And J.R. got me a new Addi crochet hook! And it has a grip! It came all the way from Canada, and it's like special, because crochet hooks with grips are very hard, if almost impossible, to find from Finland. Now I can relate to crocheters who have crochet hooks with and without grips. How cool is that?

*I'm Amoenaonline on Twitter. I'm not super active, but I like to follow other knitters and crocheters. Feel free to follow me, I'll follow you back.

4 comments:

Sooza said...

Very pretty. And I love the "frost created by deposition of water vapor into solid ice" bit :-)

Elina said...

I use knitted socks in the summer, all year round. :) Does the grip make it easier to hold onto?

I visited a couple yarn shops in Tampere but there were so many different kinds. Why don't they have yarn by the name "take this if you know nothing about yarns but want to get started on something".

Any tips? Is everything ruined if I choose the wrong type of yarn? And what is an acceptable price for 100g of yarn?

J.R. said...

Elina: It depends quite much on what you are going to make. For example for socks 7 Veljestä might be quite good and cheap (3,5-4€/150g) choice. It's ok for other projects too if you don't mind the relatively strong smell and feel of wool.

And nothing is ruined if you choose wrong type of yarn. If you get hooked on you most likely will use that yarn someday for some other project. Though choosing something furry for the first project might not be the best idea.

I don't think that the prices vary that much between the shops, so I'd just look around, compare the prices and pick something that feels nice and is relatively cheap.

Alexandra said...

The sock looks very pretty! I can't wait to see it finished.

I've taken photography lessons too and I know how to develop film! It was so much fun but a lot of work too.

I love that finnish word!

Post a Comment