Saturday, November 28, 2009

Exit light. Enter night.

Some time ago I asked J.R. to crochet me a pair of Peter Pan slippers that I had seen on Ravelry. I really like the style, and beside, I really needed slippers; Papu had made holes to my felted slippers earlier. And the slippers he made me turned out really nice . So nice, that when it was time to start figuring what to give for my friend as a birthday gift, I decided to crochet him a pair of Peter Pan slippers too.

Project info

Name: Sandman Slippers
Pattern: Peter Pan's slippers by Gabriela Ordenes
Craft: Crochet
Made for: my friend, Ossi
Size: 43

Hook: 5.0 mm (H)
Yarn: Novita Isoveli, 2 skeins
Colorway: 175

And I'm really pleased with the slippers that I crocheted! I changed the original theme from Peter Pan to Sandman, because my yarn was so nightly blue. And to enhance my theme, I sewed some silver felt stars with sequin hears on them. Originally I was going to make yellow stars, but my friend said that gray stars would look great... I was a bit dazzled about that, but then I realized he meant silvery stars. Men and colors, usually not a good match. Anyway. I liked his idea and bought some nice silvery felt instead of ugly bright yellow.

My friend visited us on Thursday and I gave him the slippers. He seemed to like them, though he associated them with magicians instead of Sandman. Magicians are pretty cool too, especially if they know some good playing card tricks.

Friday, November 13, 2009

Cable-y knee highs

My cable-y knee highs are finally finished! Took me almost two months, which is almost embarrassing long for a pair of socks. Long ones with small needles and thin yarn, but still. I know I didn't knit these as often as I could have.

Showing off her new guitar.

More likely cable-y thigh highs.

The socks fit quite nicely. It's just the right size. It's quite tight when pulling over the heel but stays up nicely and looks neither loose nor tight. Most likely it'll loosen a bit at the tightest parts after a little use.

I also managed to write and test a pattern for it. It still needs quite a lot of tweaking and styling before it's ready to be published. And I also have a little moral problem. Since the pattern is heavily inspired by commercial product, I'm not quite sure if it's ok to post a pattern for it. Though I think that that kind of "stealing" is quite usual since everything has already been done. I have to think about it.

162 cables per sock. Enough is enough.

I think I won't be knitting any socks or cables anytime soon. Especially not cables. At least not much. I've had enough of those for a while. My next project is going to be something simpler. Something with just knits and purls with larger needles. And something for myself for a change.