Thursday, December 17, 2009

Another set of very cabley mittens

I got an awesome early Christmas present on Tuesday: Elina gave us a visit and brought a painting with her that she had painted of me. And I think it's really cool, like how many people have a painting of themselves?! And it really looks like me, except normally I would wear glasses and my hair and skin would be less red of course. By the way, I'm a huge fan of Elina's art work, I just like her overall style.

I knew about the painting beforehand, I just hadn't seen it yet, so I wanted to make her something nice in return. After a little brainstorming I decided to make her a pair of knitted mittens, because Elina had just recently said that you can never have too many of them. And I was eager to knit my first mittens !

I picked a pattern that was already familiar to me, since J.R. had used it for my mittens. I just chose a very different yarn. Novita Luxus Cloud is 65% wool and 35% bamboo, and I think it's the bamboo that gives the yarn a nice shine which my mittens lack. Anyway. The yarn was also very nice to knit, though a bit too slippery for my taste.


Project info
Name: Very pearly mittens
Pattern: Very Cabley Mittens by Kelly Porpiglia
Craft: Knitting
Made for: Elina

Needle: US 4 / 3.5 mm
Yarn: Novita Luxus Cloud
How much?: 2 skeins = 212.0 yards (193.9m)
Colorway: 536
Color family: Pink

Close-up of the beads.

Officially approved by our mascot dog, Papu.

I really liked the mittens when I finished them, but I still wanted to add "something extra" to them, so I sewed tiny beads on them. I had to sew each bead separately, so it was a lot of work, but I think it was worth it. I like how they're almost hidden inside the cables, but still very able to give the mittens a girly look. I just hope they're not too girly for Elina's taste, since I would like her to wear them once in a while.

Now I just have to figure out what to knit next. Oh bummer.

4 comments:

Elina said...

I wore them today. They go nicely with my wintercoat. They're probably warm enough when it's not -22 like right now! And really purty too. The beads are such a nice touch. I'm definitely going to keep that in mind in the future: beads can be sown on knitwear for decoration...

Amoena said...

Elina: And sequins too. I think they can be equally pretty when used right. I really like the sequins in Ossi's slippers. They really make the stars shine.

Cimorine said...

I like those mittens! I may knit those . . . once I finish with Christmas knitting. If you need something to knit, try a Cabley hat and scarf to go with the mittens! :)

Amoena said...

Cimorine: I've never knitted hats or scarves before, so that's actually quite a good idea. I would love to try something new. I just need to find the perfect free pattern.

Post a Comment