Friday, January 8, 2010

Winter accessories

It's been cold and snowy winter this year. For the last month or so even here, in the southernmost Finland almost every day has been at least -10 C. It has also snowed more than in years. And it's great. Of course it's not that much fun when it's cold, but I prefer little frost and lots of snow over no frost or snow at all.

It sure looks like winter

Only thing I've been missing is woolly hat. I don't like hats really. I don't think that they suit me well. Also my hair is all flattened and messy after wearing one. But now I really don't have a choice. We have to walk Papu every day, whether I have hat or not. And it's too cold to go for a walk without a hat. Luckily Amoena uses the hood of her winter coat so she hasn't used her hat so I could have borrowed it. But now I finally have my own !

Project info
Name: A hat in need is a hat indeed
Pattern: Claudia by MJ Kim
Craft: Knitting
Made for: Me

Needle size: US 4 / 3.5 mm
Yarn: Novita 7 Veljestä
Color family: Gray

It looks great and is very fast knit, especially if you don't use cable needle. I'm not that fast knitter and it only took me two evenings to finish. I still think that hats doesn't suit me, but this is something I'm going to wear. At least for the walks.

Another small project I finished is for my brother for his birthday. He said one day that he doesn't have scarf so I decided to knit him one. Or something to cover the neck, at least.

Papu wants to be incognito too.

Project info
Name: Incognito
Pattern: Incognito by Mercedes Tarasovich-Clark
Craft: Knitting
Made for: My brother
Size: Custom (CO 80sts)

Needle size: US 4 / 3.5mm & US 2½ / 3mm
Yarn: Some random acrylic yarn found in Amoenas parents' attic

I had hard time deciding the colors. My brother has clothes in about every color, so I can't figure anything out from those. Though that also means that he has probably nothing against any color. In the end I decided to use the random acrylic yarns found in Amoenas parents' attic in green as main color, orange as contrasting color and make the snidely mustaches with black. The colors look great together, I just hope that my brother likes them too. I also didn't like how the knit looked loose with 4.5mm and 5mm needles, so I used 3mm and 3.5mm double pointed needles. And of course with smaller needles I need more stitches. This too I thought a lot, maybe a bit too much to be honest, and in the end I casted on 80 stitches. And it fits great.

I have also progressed with Sampo . I ran out of yarn at Christmas, so I couldn't have knitted it for a while but yesterday I finally bought some more. I have almost finished both sleeves so I don't have much to do anymore. Only thing I'm a bit concerned is how to sew the zipper on. We don't have sewing machine so I either have to sew it by hand or wait until we go to visit Amoenas parents' again. We'll see.

3 comments:

Alexandra said...

I love the hat! Very interesting stitch pattern. Incognito is cute too, I like the colors you chose. It's a fun pattern so the colors look great :) Did Papu wear it?

Elina said...

I saw that hat once when I was looking for patterns. Looks easy yet interesting enough to knit.

Sewing by hand sounds intimidating, but accidents can happen with a sewing machine, too..

J.R. said...

Alexandra: Thanks! Papu did wear it, but she wasn't very happy with it so we couldn't get a decent photo.

Elina: Accidents can always happen. I'm mainly worried that my stitch won't be pretty, so that my attempt to sew it by hand ruins the whole project. With sewing machine the stitch most likely looks fine so I don't have to worry about that, only that I don't mess up in any other way.

Post a Comment