Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Don't watch if it makes your eyes hurt

Now I have finished my second shawl! I was a bit worried with it at first, because the pattern seemed a bit tricky and the chart didn't seem to help me either. Luckily it was only the beginning, after ten or so rows it started to feel easier and easier. The writer of the pattern rated this shawl as "moderately difficult", but I think I have lost track with "difficult" nowadays. If you'd ask me how I would rate myself as a knitter, I would probably say that I'm still a beginner knitter and that I can't knit anything actually challenging... And yet I was perfectly capable of knitting this shawl. Maybe I need to update the view I have about my own knitting skills?


Project info
Name: PINKYELLOWRED
Pattern: Haruni by Emily Ross
Craft: Knitting
Made for: me

Needle: US 6 / 4.0 mm
Yarn: Novita Tico Tico 1.2 skeins
Colorway: 852

So I found the pattern relatively easy after all, especially since I started knitting it right after the last shawl. I didn't follow the chart when I was knitting the Traveling Woman, but I found the charts really helpful with this one. The first chart was really easy to understand, but I ran into troubles with the second one. I'm not very experienced with charts, so the edge chart was almost impossible to understand first. J.R. almost got frustrated with me because I just didn't seem to get it. I guess sometimes it's hard to be my knitting mentor.

By the way, I'm perfectly aware that the colors of my new shawl may hurt your eyes, and that they can be considered psychedelic. For some reason I really wanted to knit a shawl with this crazy colorway. And I'm really pleased with the outcome, too. Especially the edge looks really nice.


I blocked my last shawl on a drying rack, but this shawl was considerably larger. It didn't fit the drying rack, so we had to figure out an alternative way to block it. I have seen that some people block shawls on carpets, but we have a dog so every inch of our floor is covered with dog hair. I wouldn't also be comfortable having needles on the floor when Papu is running around. Eventually I decided to block the shawl on the bed. I covered the bed with towels so the bed wouldn't get wet. I'm happy with this method, even though there are probably more professional ways to block knitted items. I did ran out of pins, though, so the edge is not as neat as it could have been. It's a good thing that I'm not a perfectionist, like J.R...


The shawl turned out quite large, larger than I actually expected it to, and even though I'm very used to wear scarves on a daily basis, I couldn't figure out how to wear this one at first. I tried different ways and finally I came up with this:


I hope it does not look too silly! I just feel that's the only way to wear a shawl this big without feeling like a granny. It doesn't show in the picture (stupid hair), but I have secured the shawl with a black crocheted flower. It's like a little wrap, right?

Papu naturally likes the shawl too. She seems to like everything that mommy knits, whether it's for her or not. The bright colors really compliment her dark shiny fur.


There is also some news for today. Since J.R's interview was on the magazine, and my mother (and possible the rest of my family too) read it and found out about our blog, I now feel obligated to include Finnish summaries to my posts so they could get a clue what is going on. They don't understand English. So at the end of this post you can find the first ever Finnish post summary.

There is still one exciting news left: our blog is part of the Cuddly Crochet blog tour! It means that on April 21. you can find a post related to Cuddly Crochet book, and there is also a chance that you can win something very nice for yourself... If you want to be sure that you don't miss it, subscribe to our blog via RSS or via Google Friend Connect box that can be found from the sidebar.

Finnish summary: Hartiahuivi tuli valmiiksi. Ohje tuntui alkuun tosi hankalalta, mutta kun pääsi vähän jyvälle niin se helpottui hirveästi. Ohjeessa huivia kuvailtiin "kohtalaisen hankalaksi" neulottavaksi, mutta ihan hyvin se sujui. Pitää alkaa kohta uskomaan, ettei olekaan neulojana enää niin noviisi. Huivin blokkaaminen tuntui myös ensin vähän ongelmalliselta, koska se ei mahtunut pyykkitelineen päälle kuten edellinen huivi. Lopulta blokkasin sen sängyn päällä, ja siitä tuli ihan hyvä. Nuppineulat loppuivat tosin kesken, joten reunasta ei tullut niin siisti kuin olisi voinut. Oli myös hankalaa keksiä, miten tätä huivia oikein pitäisi päällä kun se on niin iso. Lopulta tuli kuitenkin löydettyä ihan hyvä tapa.

Finnish readers can probably tell that I write better in English...

9 comments:

Alice said...

I adore the colors in that shawl. I think it's super gorgeous. Great job!

Thea said...

I love the pic of Papu wearing the shawl.

I would say you've graduated from beginner knitter...

Alexandra said...

Gorgeous!!! I love the stripes on the edging and the colors are amazing! It looks really nice on you :)

Nina said...

That edge is probably the coolest *ever*!

hillanen said...

Way cool!

Μαιρη said...

So beautiful shawl!!!!!!!!!!!

Elina said...

Beautiful. It looks like a real pain to knit, requires concentration? I definitely want to try something like this one day. And I'll bug you with my questions as you did JR, mwahaha.

When it's spread out on the bed, the shape reminds me of a manta ray.. :D

Amoena said...

Thank you for all the kind comments! It's nice to know that you all seem to like my new shawl. That means that I dare to wear it in public too.

Elina: Knitting lace in this scale does require concentration, you're absolutely right, but luckily many lace patterns are also quite easy to "learn". It's also relatively easy to spot mistakes, because if you have extra stitches or too little stitches, the lace won't line up as it should be. And naturally you can bother us anytime :P

Jackie said...

This is gorgeous! You are not a beginning knitter if you've done lace and a chart.

I LOVE the hook from the grandfathers cardigan in the post below!

Post a Comment