Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Finally..

It took me like four months, but I finally finished my Sampo . I had some problems, but the main reason for it to take that long is that I've just been lazy with the sewing. I simply don't like it. I rather knit something else. Anyway, it's finished, and I'm liking it:

Project info
Name: Sampo
Pattern: Sampo by Tuulia Salmela
Craft: Knitting

Needle: US 6 / 4.0 mm
Yarn: Sandnes Garn Smart
Colorway: 1066 Grey

Like I said, I had some problems. At first I knitted the sleeves too short, so I lenghtened those. Or so I thought. After sewing the pieces together I noticed that the sleeves were too long. By just the amount I added earlier. So I had to unravel and knit the cuff again. Also, of course, I ran out of yarn multiple times and every time it took me some time to get the energy for going to Helsinki to buy some more. And also my parents' cat ate the tip of my beautiful wooden needle. Luckily that one was fixed with a sandpaper.

Well, as you can see, I didn't have any major problems. Most of the time the cardigan was just laying on top of a shelf with all pieces finished and waiting to be sewed. I just didn't feel like it. Luckily we went to Viiala for a wedding so I had to sew the pieces together so that I can sew the zipper on there. Otherwise it most likely would still be on top of the shelf. I really should've knitted it seamless.

Papu seems to like it too

Anyway, even with all my laziness I did finish it. And I really like how it looks. It's warm, I just hope that it's not too warm so that I'm able to wear it at least for a while before summer.

6 comments:

Elina said...

Did the pattern show how to knit it seamlessly? I'm guessing you have to sew by hand with hand-knit clothes? I agree, sewing sucks..

I would make the sleeves longer than that, but then I like very long sleeves...

Amoena said...

Elina: I prefer longer sleeves too. My favorite shirt has quite short sleeves and it's really annoying :S

J.R. said...

Elina: The pattern didn't show how to do it, but figuring out how to do it most likely would have been a lesser job than sewing every part. And I think that by sewing by hand you can get a prettier seam. If you know how to do it, you can't even see the seam afterwards.

I think that the sleeves are perfect now :)

Μαιρη said...

Beautiful!!!

Alexandra said...

It does look like a lot of work, but well worth it! It looks very nice!

I love seamless sweaters and I hate sewing, but I think set-in sleeves really look good on some sweaters. I always feel that I'm not doing it right though. One time, I spent two days trying to sew the seams of a sweater. I still don't like them but two days was definitely enough!

J.R. said...

Thanks!

Alexandra: Set-in sleeves do look good sometimes, I agree. But I think that in this one some pieces, like the sleeves, could have been knitted without the seams, i.e. in round instead of flat. But at least I now have some kind of idea on how to sew the seams :)

Post a Comment