Thursday, April 8, 2010

A bit early summer breeze

After Amoena had finished her first shawl , I wanted to knit something similar too. Though of course mine had to be a bit more challenging and complex than Amoena's. Competitive? Me? Anyway, I really liked how the yarn Amoena used self-striped so I decided to go with the same yarn, only different colorway. And it's also probably the only fingering weight yarn we can get from our local store.


Project info
Name: Kesätuuli
Pattern: Windsbraut - Sommerwind by Monika Eckert
Craft: Knitting
Made for: Amoena

Needle: US 4 / 3.5 mm
Yarn: Novita Tico Tico 1.2 skeins
Colorway: 836 Blue-Green

The stripes really steal the focus from the lace pattern. I knew that it's going to be this way but it's still quite a shame. I actually had some problems with understanding the border chart. At first I couldn't find the focal points what to follow with the chart and just didn't understand how it was supposed to go. And I was thrilled. I think I really do like challenges and it's been a while since I have had this sort of problems. After few rows knitting started to flow again. I think this is the most lacy thing I've ever knit.

And of course there has to be a pic of Papu wearing whatever we have finished.

Amoena also got me about the best thing a man can get. Premium 80cm 3,5mm circular lace-needles with extra sharp tips by Addi!

Probably the best needles I've ever knitted with.

At first I was a bit suspicious. Yeah, I was knitting with some old, plastic circular needles, but still, how big a difference there can be? A huge. After switching to these little wonders even the purl rows were fun. No more problems with stitches gettings stuck or anything. I also noticed that I started to knit tighter since the stitches slided so much better. Luckily the difference wasn't that big.

Finnish summary: Minäkin päätin kutoa pitsihuivin. Ohjeen huivista tuli hieman isompi kuin aikaisemmista, mutta sen kuitenkin mahtui blokkaamaan sängyllä. Loppujen lopuksi hyvä tuli, vaikka olikin hieman ongelmia reunuksen ohjeen ymmärtämisessä. Sain myös uudet pitsipuikot, joilla kutominen käy kuin tanssi.

5 comments:

Elina said...

(You didn't say anything about blocking in English btw.)

I'm glad that now I know the best thing a man can get. We'll see how my men will like a gift like that. :D It's interesting to know anyway that luxury needles can be useful, too.

It's a pity that the green only shows in the beginning and thins out on later rows...

And I still see the Mothman when I look at the scarf.

Nalamienea said...

I just count myself lucky that hubby buys ME needles. I don't push my luck. lol My friend knits with addi's for lace and was really impressed with my knit picks harmony needles. Maybe a less expensive route for the future? :)

J.R. said...

Elina: Oh, that's true. I just checked what Amoena wrote in her summary and wrote something alike. There was nothing special about the blocking so that's why I probably didn't write about it first. I just tried to get some content to the summary :D

Nalamienea: I've heard quite a lot of positive comments on knit picks needles. I kinda also like how those harmony needles look. Unfortunately they don't ship outside US and Canada. And even if they did, the price (with postals) would be about the same as Addi's here (~$7.95).

Alexandra said...

Beautiful! I like the stripes, I think they create a very nice effect. They do hide the lace pattern a little, but on the other hand, the lace pattern helps to show off the stripes :) I love the tiny stripe on the border too, it's perfect!

AndiPants said...

I love how the self striping yarn worked up on the edging.

Post a Comment