Thursday, May 20, 2010

Hello Summer!

It finally feels like summer in Finland! It's been pretty warm for days and the sun is shining in the blue sky. Things couldn't be much better right now. We also just spent five days visiting my parents at Viiala, Akaa. It's the place where we go for vacation. The food is great and there is plenty of room for Papu to run and of course doggie friends for her! Just look at this happy girl:

Papu kept her vegetarian diet even in vacation. Good girl!
Click to enlarge... because Papu's smile is priceless.
Clearly Viiala is the best place for doggies to be. It's way better than our small apartment in Espoo, where the only outside area is our concrete balcony. Nowadays Viiala is a great place for us knitters too, because there's a yarn store now. The yarn store is called "Miita" and it's just recently opened. The yarn selection was quite narrow, but the owner is also selling hand made items and teaches people how to knit. These small yarn stores don't do so well in the countryside, so I really hope for the best for Miita. I really would like to see this kind of businesses growing. Anyway. We visited the yarn store on Tuesday and I actually bought two skeins of yarn. I wasn't going to buy anything, but I just had to had this yarn:

DROPS Fabel, colorway 677
The yarn is nothing special really. I just liked the colorway. I've said earlier that I don't like multicolored yarns... but somehow I just find myself graving after them. I still think that multicolor yarns look better in skeins than when they're knitted.

Of course I brought my knitting project in Viiala, and I really planned to knit the Echo Flower shawl as much as possible... I even brought pins with me so I could block the shawl if I manage to finish it! Oddly, I only knitted two rows. Uh-oh. I don't know what happened. I guess it was just too hot to knit. Poor shawl has been completely neglected.


I really look forward to finish the shawl, though sometimes I have my own suspects. I know that all shawls look really messy and sloppy before they get blocked, but I think the flowers don't look so nice when I stretch them by hand. I think I have knitted too loosely, and as the designer also suggested, the shawl would look nicer in 4-ply yarn. But we'll see. We'll see.

5 comments:

Sarah {The Student Knitter} said...

Puppy looks like he's having a blast! :) and i love the colour you picked for the shawl, too.

WorstedKnitt said...

I used to live in Toijala! That's so funny, I also have some friends in Viiala left :) Love that yarn and the summery look of Finland (I'm jealous!)

Elina said...

Of course Papu likes the sun, she has barely any fur.

The shawl is such a lovely colour! And interesting pattern from the looks of it.

The Knitwit Knitter said...

Love Papu's smile!

The Knitwit Knitter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment