Monday, October 4, 2010

For your dwarf head, my friend!

If you're a knitter, I think it's kinda obligatory to knit small items for the people you like when they have their birthday. So when my friend had her birthday last week, I knitted her a beret. Last year I knitted her a pair of lovely cupcake mittlets, so this year it was time for something else than hand wear. I'm not sure if she's a hat person, because I don't remember if I've ever seen a hat on her head... but it's the though that counts. Right?

The thought counts even when you knit the beret with quite horrible plastic mohair yarn. It counts even when you've just blasted the yarn to her the previous week. The thought counts pretty far, you see. But I just had two skeins of that shitty yarn and I wanted to use it quickly for something pretty. I tried to use it for a scarf design of my own, but it just didn't work out.

The beret pattern called for 8mm needles, but 8mm sounds huge to me. They sound like something you're supposed to slay vampires with. Besides, our thickest needles are 5.5mm and they're circular. I've heard about magic looping, but I wasn't really into mood for learning something new when I knitted this hat so I used 4mm DPNs instead. I also used two different colors stranded together and I really like the way they blended together:



Project info
Name: For your dwarf head, my friend!
Pattern: Star Crossed Slouchy Beret
by Natalie Larson
Craft: Knitting
Made for a friend
Size: small

Needle 3.5mm DNP
Yarn: Novita Rose Mohair
Colorway: 795 red purple & 798 purple

Because of the thinner needles, I had to alter the pattern slightly. I started with 81 stitches instead of 72, and I thought that I added enough extra stitches, but alas the beret turned out pretty small. I didn't worry much about that though. I knew my friend would have smaller head than I do (that's why the project is called "For your dwarf head, my friend!"). I also added one cable chart repeat to make the beret slouchier, but I think I should have added two; It turned out more like a hat and less like a beret.

At least my friend looked pretty happy when she got her gift... Or maybe it had something to do with the nice package and chocolate treats?


Finnish summary: Neulojalle on aika pakollista aina silloin tällöin neuloa pienia lahjoja myös ystäville. Kaverillani oli synttärit ja neuloin hänelle lahjaksi pipon. En ole koskaan nähnyt kyseisellä kaverillani pipoa, mutta ajatushan se on aina tärkein. Neuloin jo viime vuonna hänelle tumput. Jouduin hiukan säätämään ohjetta, koska minulla ei ollut tarpeeksi paksuja puikkoja, ja lankakin taisi olla vähän eri paksuista kuin ohje olisi vaatinut. Säätämisestä huolimatta piposta tuli aika lailla tiukempi kuin oli tarkoitus, mutta onneksi kaverilla on ainakin pienempi pää kuin minulla. Ehkä se sopii.

4 comments:

Sarah {The Student Knitter} said...

totally cute! And I think you're right, it's totally the thought all the way. hehe :)

Elina said...

I like the colors too. And looks slouchy enough. She should be happy.

Amoena said...

Elina: I think the colors are quite twisted in the pictures. Seriously, these have been probably my worst project shots ever! I had one pic with more accurate colors, but there was nothing else in the picture so I leaved it out.

kalyxcorn said...

so glad to have found your blog! I heard about this on the radio and thought you might be interested...

http://yarnbombing.com/

Post a Comment