Friday, October 22, 2010

Preparing for blizzards

It's been getting colder and colder, and last week when it got close to zero degrees and Niila started shivering we decided that she really needs a sweater. Since Niila's still very small, I doubted that any pattern would fit so I decided to just knit and watch some directions from patterns if I run into problems

Project info
Name: Niila's first sweater
Craft: Knitting
Made for Niila

Needles: 3.5mm double pointed needles
Yarns: Novita 7 Veljestä in light grey & DROPS Alpaca in grey-green mix (7323)

I have been using Alpaca-yarns quite a lot lately, and I've really liked those. And since those are even warmer than wool I of course wanted to use those for Niilas sweater too. I had some leftover skeins from Pullover of eternity so I chose the grey-green mix and used it double stranded with 7 Veljestä.

I compared Niila to one of my socks to get some idea of the amount of stitches I need. I also wanted the neck to be high so I knitted the rib for quite a bit, but as you can see from the pic, it didn't turn out to be that high after all. Anyways, I just knitted, tried it on Niila, and if it didn't fit as I wanted, I unraveled and tried again. In the end the whole project was quite painless; I only had few small problems with the legs.

Isn't she pretty sporting around in her new sweater?
It turned out to be slightly too long for Niila. As you can see in the picture, it curls at the end because it goes a bit too close to her legs. Niila's still a growing puppy, but I'm not quite sure whether she's going to grow that much in length. So I might have to make the edge again if it curls too much. But we'll see.

1 comment:

kalyxcorn said...

wow, we are having freakish weather here at 85degrees F but even normal weather right now is maybe in the high 60s. lovely sweater! :)

Post a Comment