Monday, July 19, 2010

Jussi for Papu

In Finland we have this thing called Jussi-paita. It's basically a sweater with grey-red pattern with diamonds, and I think about everybody recognizes it. It's been one of the most popular patterns throughout Finland's independence or something. According to this page (in Finnish, but you can see the pattern there) it rose to popularity in 1920s after Pohjalaisia-movie where character called Jussi wore it, and one story tells that it was actually designed for that character. The pattern has been probably imported to about everything, and Katri Vesikko has also made a dog's version of it. After Amoena told me about it, I sure wanted to make one.

We have quite a bit of Novita's 7 Veljestä so I decided to use it instead of Nalle. 7 Veljestä is slightly thicker, but I didn't think that the difference would be too serious so I just knitted as the pattern said. Well, unfortunately Papu is smaller than Katri's small dog or I just knitted too loose, but on the first try it was way too big. So I tried again casting on 50 stitches. I also didn't increase as much as the pattern suggested, but 10sts at first and 7 increase rows after that. I left 14 stitches for the belly-part and repeated the diamond-pattern 7 times. And this time it fitted much better.

Since Papu's a girl, I didn't do any decreases or back-flaps at the end but just made a straight border with 1k1p ribbing.

Project info
Name: Jussi for Papu
Pattern: Koiran Jussi-paita by Katri Vesikko
Craft: Knitting
Made for: Papu

Needle: US 7 - 3.5 mm
Yarn: Novita 7-Veljestä
Colorways: 587 + 060

I also made small sleeves, since according to Amoena it's not a sweater if it doesn't have sleeves. Also the belly-part should have been a bit wider than 14 stitches but the sleeves fixed it. The red looks great on Papu's dark coat, and she also seems to like it, though at the moment it's a bit too hot to wear any woolen sweaters. But at least she's prepared for the winter.

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Lacy Bolero

About two months ago I saw a cute bolero/vest thingy at school. As I said in my earlier post, it was lacy and knitted with not-so-furry mohair. It looked great, so I decided to knit something similar. I took few notes (on the back of my lecture sheets, I didn't pay much attention to the lecture after noticing it) and decided to give it a try.

I really liked how the bolero looked in white with black shirt under it. But since I was making it for Amoena, of course, and she's not a big fan of white, we decided to make it in turquoise instead. In the end I chose to use Sandnes Garn's Kitten Mohair, which was just what I wanted: not too furry, soft like kitten and the weight was about perfect.

At first I estimated the amount of stitches with measurements and what the yarn's banderole said the gauge should be. I casted on like 136 stitches or something, decreased about 10 stitches during the ribbing and started with the lace-part. The whole bolero is made in one piece, about like the Shawl Collar Vest, just with small extensions for sleeves, so I couldn't really fit it before it was finished. Even though I did think during knitting it that it looks way too big for Amoena, I decided to finish it. Well, as I thought, it was WAY too big. Like size hippo or something. It didn't look small and cute and stuff as I wanted it to.

The bolero has k1p1 ribbing but otherwise it's completely lace.
I thought that if I took away four repeats of the lace pattern, it should fit much better. So I frogged it and tried again with 100 stitches to begin with, decreasing 10 stitches during the ribbing and repeating the lace for 9 times. And this time it was just right.

Project info
Name: Lacy bolero
Craft: Knitting
Made for: Amoena, of course

Needle: US 7 - 4.5 mm
Yarn:Sandnes Garn Kitten Mohair
Colorway: 6755

The "original" had a button, but I decided to use a hook. I used some very small hooks so if Amoena uses the bolero open, you can't really see them.

I'm very happy how the whole bolero turned out in the end. And it only took about 2 skeins of Kitten. I hope that Amoena likes it as much as I do.

Finnish summary: Näin pari kuukautta sitten nätin mohairista tehdyn pitsisen liivin/boleron koulussa ja päätin yrittää tehdä samankaltaista. Käytin Sandnes Garnin Kitten Mohairia, joka on juuri sellaista millaista halusin langan olevan: pehmoista, ei liian pörröistä ja sopivan paksua. Ensimmäisellä yrittämällä bolerosta tuli aivan liian iso, mutta sain sentään mitattua vähennettävien silmukoiden määrän. Toisella yrittämällä vähensin 36 silmukkaa ja tällä kertaa siitä tuli juuri sopiva. "Alkuperäisessä" oli nappi, mutta päätin käyttää sen sijaan pientä hakasta, joka olisi mahdollisimman huomaamaton, jos boleroa käyttää avonaisena.